Looking for topics to talk about when texting? These conversation starters are perfect for a conversation over a text message thread. Questions like, “What would your dream job be if you could pick anything?” They’re a fun and engaging way to spark a fun conversation with your friends.
My experience with these conversation starters…
I’m not going to sugarcoat this… I have to admit that I wasn’t the most talkative person growing up. One thing that I learned was that opening myself up and talking to new people opened more doors than I thought it would.
These questions are designed to connect you with the person you need to connect with. My best tips… Be yourself, don’t pick questions just to be liked, and keep a few of your favorites in your back pocket for random situations!
Topics For a Guy
—Great conversation topics for texting a guy
1. How was your day? And work week?
2. What do you do in your free time? What hobbies do you like?
3. What places in the city do you visit the most?
4. How do you feel about sports, art, and music?
5. Are there bad habits that you struggle with?
6. What brings you the most joy?
7. What is your attitude toward loneliness? How do you combat it?
8. What do you like to do in your free time? What are your hobbies?
9. Do you work in your specialty or field of study?
10. Where did you study? And what did you study?
11. How do you prefer to relax, spend holidays, or chill after a work day?
12. When will people be able to fly freely into space? Is it necessary?
13. What books have had the greatest impact on modern civilization?
14. What superpower would you like to have and why?
15. Would you rather be the richest person or the smartest?
16. Do you believe in ghosts or the afterlife?
17. What childhood memories do you remember the most?
18. If we learn from mistakes, why are we so afraid of them?
19. Do weapons protect or destroy?
20. Would you agree to explore a new planet in the event of an impending apocalypse?
21. Do you have childhood friends that you still keep in touch with?
22. How do you feel about self-knowledge, meditation, yoga, and other practices?
23. What would you do if you were offered a job change?
24. Do you like your position in life?
25. How are your relationships with your colleagues?
26. What event are you looking forward to?
27. Where did self-esteem come from if man evolved from a monkey?
28. Is there a destiny? If so, how is there freedom of choice?
29. If you could choose an era in which to live, which would you choose?
30. What would heaven and hell look like if you invented them?
Related: Topics to Talk About
Topics For a Girl:
—Great conversation starters when texting a girl.
1. What is the most beautiful song you have heard?
2. What song turns you on every time you hear it?
3. What’s your favorite movie or show most people haven’t heard of?
4. Who is your favorite celebrity?
5. If you were stuck forever on a desert island, would you take a book? Which one?
6. What did you get away with as a child that your family still doesn’t know about?
7. Why do you most often quarrel with your friends?
8. What would it be if you had to wear a uniform every day?
9. If you could eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be and why?
10. What distinguishes true friends from just acquaintances?
11. Friendship can be difficult, especially if it’s not mutual. How do you define a true friend?
12. What would you change if you had to relive this week?
13. If you were to become famous, what industry would you like to become famous in?
14. Why are the dead more respected than the living?
15. Is poverty inevitable?
16. Do animals have a soul, and how is it different from humans?
17. How relevant is the institution of marriage and family in the modern world?
18. What is the sense of life?
19. What events in world history were the most striking and significant?
20. What will happen to our planet if all people disappear?
21. How quickly and to what extent will the structure of nature and wildlife be changed?
22. How do you imagine the perfect trip?
23. What are better beaches, excursions, and mountain trips?
24. Which country do you like the most?
25. Were there any problems during the trip?
26. Did you travel alone or with a group?
27. What would you like to do if you had no restrictions on finances and resources?
28. Where have you rested the most? Would you return there?
29. How do you like to have fun?
30. Would you prefer a quiet evening with your loved one or a loud party?
Related: Topics to Talk About With a Girl
Topics For a Girlfriend
—Great conversation starters for a girlfriend.
1. What kind of chocolate bar could you be?
2. What would you choose if you could go anywhere in the universe?
3. What was your most embarrassing moment in middle or high school?
4. What is the most unusual thing in your wallet, pocket, or purse?
5. What would you choose if you were named after a city, region, or country?
6. Have you ever gossiped about a person and heard everything?
7. What would you like to have?
8. What property do you value the most?
9. How do you plan to spend your vacation or weekend?
10. What is your favorite clothing store or brand?
11. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
12. If you could add any word to the dictionary, what would it be, and what would it mean?
13. Have you ever had to keep your mouth shut even when you wanted to say what was on your mind?
14. If your best friend wrote a book about you, what would it be called?
15. How often do you step out of your comfort zone?
16. What foreign language did you study or do you study?
17. Would you ever join a mission to colonize another planet if it meant you would never return to Earth?
18. What is the most creative gift you have ever given or received?
19. Have you ever heard a conversation not meant for your ears?
20. What was the best time in your life?
21. What do you often think and dream about?
22. What is your favorite program or channel on TV?
23. If you could live anywhere, what would you choose? What place would you give up everything for?
24. What is the coolest fact about the universe you know?
25. If you could travel anywhere with anyone, where would you go, and who would you take?
26. What cool things would you like to do in zero gravity?
27. What can you tell us about holidays and recreation this year?
28. What would you be doing if you didn’t work where you are now?
29. What was your first job or first money?
30. What interesting books have you read lately? What do you recommend?
Expert advice: A study by Minnesota State University suggests that text messaging does have a displacement effect when it comes to face-to-face communication. Meaning they can result in the person “looking” and “seeing” you differently. It’s important to consider messages before they get sent and the wide array of ways the message could get interpreted.
Texting Conversation Topics For a Boyfriend:
1. How much money do you need to be happy?
2. Do you prefer a quiet holiday or an active one?
3. What would you like to do if money weren’t a constraint?
4. How would you spend the money if you won the lottery?
5. What social networks do you use?
6. What applications on the phone do you need?
7. What does your ideal day, vacation, or life look like?
8. Do you consider yourself beautiful?
9. What is not considered normal but normal? What is prohibited but should be allowed?
10. Do you believe in luck, destiny, and destiny?
11. What do you like to fantasize about and imagine?
12. Do you have many friends, acquaintances, and close people?
13. What hobbies do you have, and what do you enjoy?
14. What time of the year do you like best?
15. What are the scariest things in life?
16. What country or city do you like the most?
17. With whom is it best to be on a desert island?
18. What are your dark personality traits?
19. What pisses you off and makes you the angriest?
20. Sweet, salty, sour. What are your taste preferences?
21. What do you dislike to talk about and why?
22. What theaters, exhibitions, and operas do you visit?
23. Do you have many friends, acquaintances, and close people?
24. What are you proud of in life, and what achievements do you consider the main ones?
25. How would you spend a million dollars if you won the lottery?
26. What is missing in life, and what do you want to add?
27. Who do you admire, and why do you admire them?
28. How do you usually spend your weekends?
29. What advice would you give to others?
30. What is your favorite restaurant, cafe, or place in the city?
Expert advice: Harvard researchers suggest asking basic questions like, “How are you?” Or, “What do you like to do?” won’t be sufficient in creating strong, long-lasting relationships. Instead, try the A.C.T method, which stands for authenticity, connection, and topic/taste. Find mutual ground between the two of you and move past surface-level questions.
Good Texting Conversation Topics For a Crush:
1. Do you prefer fitness, jogging, gym classes, or other types of training?
2. Do you store your photos on your camera or print them out?
3. What kind of music can instantly wake you up even after a sleepless night?
4. How often do you cook various dishes, and which do you consider your signature?
5. If you could choose a new profession right now, what would you prefer?
6. Tell me about the funniest bad habits you can’t eliminate. How much do they interfere with your life?
7. Do you consider yourself a typical cat lady or prefer dogs?
8. Do you like to be photographed?
9. Is femininity, attractiveness, or comfort more important to you?
10. If you choose a resort, which one would prefer a sea, ski, or sightseeing tour of historical places?
11. What do you do to fill your time when you feel lonely?
12. Does loneliness have an effect on you?
13. If you had the opportunity to choose which country to live in, which one would it be and why?
14. Do you maintain close relationships with your parents, siblings, and other relatives?
15. What is the most memorable gift you have ever been given?
16. Name a significant or fateful event that happened to you over the past year. How dramatically has it changed your life?
17. Do you believe that accidents are not accidental?
18. Do you believe that life has a destiny for us?
19. What kind of house do you want more: a country estate, a comfortable city apartment, or a stylish townhouse in a quiet elite area?
20. Are you an adventurer or a homebody girl by nature? What adventures from the past still make you smile?
21. How do you prefer to spend your free time reading a book, watching TV, or online?
22. What impression did you have from studying at school? Is it worth it?
23. Were you the favorite of the teachers, or, on the contrary, did you constantly receive negative comments?
24. Do you consider yourself a versatile person?
25. Which book made a lasting impression on you, and which did not live up to expectations?
26. What role do you assign to career growth in your life?
27. Are you willing to sacrifice something to get promoted at work?
28. What moments would you try to relive, or would you let them be the same?
29. What throws you off balance in a matter of seconds? How do you usually calm down?
30. Are there people in the science, literature, or cinema you admire? For what achievements?
Expert advice: According to a recent study by Pew Research Center, more Americans are suggesting that they are finding a meaningful life through freedom and flexibility rather than through relationships. If you’re struggling to find a connection through dating, know you aren’t alone. The dating pool is quite literally getting smaller.
Good Texting Conversation Topics For a Friend:
1. If a time machine were real, which century would you like to experience for one day?
2. Do you pay attention to modern trends? Or do you prefer timeless classics?
3. What environmental initiatives are you ready to support or already support?
4. Which area of study is easier for you, humanities or math?
5. What kind of literature do you prefer?
6. Are there any traditions in your family or close circle that you carried through many years and still observe?
7. Do you notice a significant difference between generations?
8. What do we have in common? And how do we differ?
9. If you had to tell tourists about your city or country, what facts would you mention first?
10. If you were offered a free trip, which country would you go to and why?
11. Are you interested in the political situation in the world? What is your opinion and why?
12. What is happiness in your understanding, and how to achieve it?
13. Imagine that you need to occupy the audience for 10-15 minutes spontaneously. What topic would you like to speak about?
14. If there were 25 hours in a day, what would you spend your free time on?
15. Would you like to change your profession or consider your choice successful?
16. Do you have a sweet tooth, or do you like salty foods more? Name a dish you can’t refuse.
17. What is the first thing you pay attention to when meeting a man?
18. What do you pay attention to in people?
19. Are you able to learn from the mistakes of others, or do you prefer to “stuff your bumps” on your own?
20. Do you think artificial intelligence will eventually replace people in many areas? What is, in your opinion, the least subject to technological progress?
21. What are the most memorable and unusual moments from childhood?
22. What would you change in the past if there was an opportunity?
23. Is the glass half full or half empty? Optimist, pessimist, or realist?
24. What is your favorite subject at school or university?
25. Are you a member of any organizations or movements?
26. What animal do you compare yourself to, and why do you do that?
27. What do you dream about but are still afraid of?
28. What kind of people do you like, and which ones cause negative emotions?
29. How do you have fun and hang out when you want to party?
30. Who do you admire?
Images to share
Board reviewed by Marianne Tomlinson, LCSW (Couples and Family Therapy). Content is rigorously reviewed by a team of qualified and experienced fact checkers. Learn more.