I always get these types of prompts and questions from my friends—but hey, I’m happy about it! My friend Sarah was asking me a question about birthdays the other night. And she asked me, “What are some good happy birthday wishes for a son-in-law?” I thought to myself, well—it’s really important that we dig into what you want to express for yourself.
Sending a birthday wish can go a long way. A lot further than you might think. Let’s presume you haven’t talked to a friend in a little bit of time—well, don’t you think that a message from you might really make them feel good? Yes, it would!
When it comes to the relationship that you have with your son-in-law, it’s important to think through what’s going to be impactful to establish a relationship. Those who have son-in-law’s know that it’s important to bring your daughters counterpart into the family… To accept them and show them what love means in the family.
Although, when you aren’t exactly sure what you should say—then you might need a little bit of inspiration.
40 Happy Birthday Wishes for a Son-in-Law (Examples)
Wishes that you can send via text message or put into a card!
Some really cute happy birthday wishes for a son-in-law:
- Hey, it’s your birthday! I want you to know how much I care about you as my son-in-law. If you ever need anything, let us know!
- You’re a big part of our family—and I’m not talking about the size of your meals every night. We’re happy to have you as part of our family.
- There’s only a few people that I could ever think would join our family so well—and you’re one of them. I’m so glad that we’re able to spend this special day with you.
- Happy birthday to my son-in-law. It means a lot to me that you’ve joined our family so well and that you’ve become a big part of what makes us happy.
- You’ve joined our family, made us better, and I couldn’t be happier that you’re part of our family now. Happy Birthday to you, my favorite son-in-law!
- When it comes to knowing how to celebrate a birthday—I know that you know exactly what to do! 😉 Happy Birthday my son-in-law!!
- It’s your birthday!!! Let’s celebrate! Even thought I’m your mother-in-law, I want you to know that I know how to have some fun. Let’s celebrate your birthday right!
- When it comes to our family, you’ve made yourself a huge part of it. I couldn’t be happier to call you my son-in-law. Let’s have a great birthday!
- To my son-in-law. You came into this family just recently but it feels like you’ve been part of this family for a very long time.
- Happy Birthday!!!! What else can I say other than that!? Let’s party!
Expert advice: Positive thoughts and affirmations really have an impact on mental health. And even physical health! It’s not surprising but research has shown that this has a positive impact on the development of a relationship, their mental health, and more. Next time you question how impactful a positive message can be—remember this!
Some very sincere birthday messages for your son-in-law:
- I just don’t think too many other people have the best son-in-law like I do. I want you to enjoy this very special day and I hope we can get together soon—happy birthday to my son-in-law!
- You have made yourself an integral and special part of our family. I’m very proud of you and happy to have you as part of our family. You’ve made my daughter extremely happy and I can’t wait to see what your future looks like. Happy birthday!
- There’s something very special about love. And the love that you and my daughter share together. You two are an incredible addition to our family and I want you to know how much I care about you. Happy birthday to my son-in-law!
- Well, you are my son-in-law… And it is your special day. I want you to know that you’ve really made a strong impression on me. And that I see how much you’ve made me part of your future family. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to you my son-in-law! This is your great day! Let’s spend it together as a family and have some fun!
- When you need someone to be there for you—I will be there! Happy birthday to you!
- My SON in law! It is your greatest day. What should we do? Let me know how you’d like to celebrate and we’ll make sure that you get the best day you can create!
- Happy birthday to you my very special son-in-law. You’ve made my daughter extremely special, healthy, happy, and more. I love you! Happy birthday!
- You’re no longer my son-in-law—you are just my SON! And I couldn’t be more proud of that. I love you!
- It’s your birthday and guess what—YOU are the best thing to happen to our family. Happy birthday to my favorite son-in-law!
If you’re looking for a laugh, ones that your son-in-law might have a little chuckle about:
- I really wasn’t hopeful about this whole relationship when I first met you… But boy did you surprise me! Happy birthday to you my son-in-law!
- If I had to think of a person who deserved the best day—well, I might have a couple of other people in mind… Just kidding. It’s you! Happy birthday to my son-in-law.
- The day that I met you, I remember that I was thinking to myself—uh oh! But you really have surprised me. And that’s something that I’m very grateful for. Happy birthday to you!
- I know you’ll be looking for some BBQ, some beer, some outdoor games, and maybe a new boat for your birthday—but guess what? You aren’t getting it! Happy Birthday!
- Your birthday is one special day. And I know what’s on your list—a boat. But guess what!? We aren’t getting it for you yet. Wait another 5-years and maybe we can talk! Happy birthday to you!
- Well, I almost forgot it was your birthday until my daughter reminded me… Just kidding! I didn’t forget. Have a very good happy birthday today!
- The first time that you passed gas in front of our family, I knew that you were comfortable with us. And I’m very happy and proud of that. Happy birthday my very best son-in-law!
- Make today a special day—have a beer, kiss your wife… Oh wait, that’s my daughter! Don’t kiss her! Just kidding. I love you. Happy B-DAY!
- I hope you don’t spend the entire day knocking boots… Because you’re dancing too much. What were you thinking of? Happy birthday! 😉
- It’s your day! Happy day! Happy birthday! Happy happy! Yes, happy! Ok, is that enough for you? We’re all happy for you!
Related: Third-anniversary wishes to send
Ones for when it’s been 5+ years
When it’s time to celebrate some milestones—here are some birthday messages you can use:
- Truly can’t believe it’s been 5-years already! You are someone that I truly appreciate. You’ve made us a big part of your focus and you have built an individual relationship with us. And that’s something that I really value. Thank you! Happy B-day!
- Can we just agree that 5-years is a great milestone to pass? Let’s try to get to 10-years now! Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to my favorite son-in-law! This is going to be the best year of your life with my daughter. After 5-years, it’s really going to sink in that you have a wonderful partner, family, and future person to continue to grow with.
- Through all of the challenges, it’s all worth it, isn’t it? Some days are good. Some days are bad. But no matter what, you’re together (with my daughter). I appreciate who you are and everything that you bring with you to our family. Happy birthday to you!
- When it comes to who you are—I never had a question about it. When it comes to how you are with my daughter—I never had a question about that, either. I guess you could say that I have never really had a question about you as a person. I don’t know if I’ve ever shared that with you but I thought after 5-years… it was time. I love you very much, my son-in-law… Have a very happy birthday, okay?
See also: Motivational quotes for your boyfriend
Conclusion—happy birthday wishes for a son-in-law
When you’re thinking about sharing a birthday message, my own experience would be helpful here! From what I’ve learned—it’s always best to share something that means a lot to you. Don’t just copy and paste some of the example messages above and text them…
Try to remember a shared memory. Try to think of what emotion you want your son-in-law to feel. Do you want them to feel appreciated, loved, accepted, or otherwise? Be empathetic first and then try to apply your message to that.
Remember, customize the messages that I’ve put together for you. They give you a good format to either ‘add to’ or ‘modify’ as birthday wish to make it a special one.