Hypothetical questions are those questions that do not have a foundation in reality. They are based on supposition. That is why most hypothetical questions start as “imagine…” or “if…”. Even in science, scientists ask themselves hypothetical questions about the world and then begin research to find answers. Of course, their hypothetical questions are a bit more serious and well-thought-out in nature.
My experience with these questions…
Okay, I love conversation starters (which we’ll get into in a moment). I’ve personally tried out many of these questions, and I can say that they’re a lot of fun!
I highly recommend using them when you’re bored—primarily with friends or family (and couples).
Keep a few of them in your back pocket for when you hear complete silence!
Hypothetical questions as conversation starters
A lot of people underestimate the power of hypothetical questions. Usually, only children end up asking such questions. Adults, on the other hand, consider them a waste of time.
But if you think about it, asking yourself hypothetical questions and imagining unlikely scenarios can keep you on your toes and your brain sharp. Moreover, it can also be a very fun thing to do in a party or with friends.
There are various kinds of hypothetical questions that you can ask others or even yourself. Some are philosophical in nature. These are the questions that philosophers still think about to this day. For example, would it be better to know about the nature of your death or be ignorant but happy?
Hypothetical questions can also be used as ice-breakers when you’re meeting new people. In this article, we have listed out some hypothetical questions of various kinds. You can use these questions to make your conversation interesting or to better your intellectual capabilities.
How to start
The questions have been divided into categories, so it’s easier for you to navigate them. It is important to remember that these are just some of the many hypothetical questions out there.
The best practice is to ask yourself original hypothetical questions and try to answer them. This is an amazing brain-strengthening exercise that will help you in the long run.
As our brains age, their capabilities also deteriorate. Thus, you have to work them like any other muscle in your body. Asking yourself hypothetical questions is a great mind exercise to help your intellectual capabilities in the long run.
Best Hypothetical Questions
- If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why?
- If you could ask one question from your future self, what would that question be?
- If someone offered you one million dollars to stay in bed for a whole month, would you do it?
- If you could go back in time to meet your ancestors and tell them one thing, what would you say to them?
- If you could be a journalist for one day, which major celebrity (dead or alive) would you interview?
- If there was one person you could have by your side all day until the end of your days to protect you, whom would you choose?
- If you could build a dream house in any country, where will you go?
- What would you do if someone gave you a hundred million dollars to invest and told you that you could keep the profits?
- If you could have any car delivered to your doorstep, which car would you choose?
- If you could buy tickets for yourself and your friends to any concert, which artist would you go for?
- If you could sing on stage with any singer, dead or alive, which singer would you choose?
- If you had the choice of being able to never sleep and function properly, would you take it? Why?
- If you could talk to your dog, what all things would you teach him or what would you talk to him about?
- If you were told to choose between your parents, would you choose your mother or father?
- If you were told to sacrifice your life for the whole world, would you do it or live along on earth till your last day?
- If there is an asteroid coming towards the earth and it will end up damaging one continent. Which continent would you choose to be destroyed?
- If you had to live like Sisyphus for the rest of your life, would you choose to end your suffering or continue rolling the rock uphill just so you can live?
- If you had the choice between listening to one audiobook for the rest of your life or never watching a movie till its end, what choice would you make?
- Imagine that a director wants to make a movie on your life. It will make you rich and famous. But you don’t have a say what the director includes in the film. All the things that are included will be accurate. Would you do it?
- Imagine you were given a choice between living on a 5-star cruise for the rest of your life or living in a shack on a mountain with greenery everywhere. What would you choose?
- Who will be the first person that you haunt if you ever become a ghost?
- If there was a man who knew everything that will happen in future, would you ask him how you die or not? Remember that whatever the answer, the future cannot be changed.
- If you had control over one element of this universe like fire, water, air, earth, or ice, what would you choose and why?
- If you could dream a dream forever, would you dream it or not?
- If you could change the subjective experience of time in your dreams, would you do it even though it might mean living out a whole life in your dreams?
- If there was a way to bring your loved ones back from death, would you do it or let them rest peacefully?
- Imagine there is a secret ruling class in this world. You find out about it, would you tell people and be called crazy, or just keep it a secret?
- Imagine you die and come back. Would you tell people what happens after even though you know the world will be a more chaotic place after that?
- Imagine there was a wand that could summon anyone in front of you. Who will you summon and what would you say to them?
- If you could eradicate one disability from this world, which one would you choose to eradicate?
- The devil approaches you and asks for your soul. In return, he ensures that you will get anything that you want for the rest of your life. However, he doesn’t tell you what happens to your soul after you die. Would you still sell it to him or not?
- If you could create a utopia according to you, what will be the first rule that you will enforce in it?
- If there are multiple universes and you get a choice to live in any one of them, which universe will you choose?
- Would you like to have children without a living spouse or never have children but just your spouse till you die?
- What do you hope will be changed about you in three years while you are still working for your current company?
- How would you respond if you were asked to carry out a work task violating your morals?
- If your peers objected to your proposed new idea or policy, what would you do, hypothetically?
- One day, you are responsible for a sizable undertaking directly impacting the company’s achievement. How would you intend to approach it in this fictitious situation?
- You run into a fictitious circumstance where you are at odds with management. What do you do about it?
- What would you do if you were assigned a task with a coworker with whom you don’t get along?
- How would you respond if a teammate took a long time to provide the details required to do your task?
- What would you do if you strongly suggested something in a meeting, but your colleagues rejected it?
- How would you respond if the job produced by a worker under your management didn’t meet your standards?
- If the job you’ve finished is subpar, but the due date for completion is tomorrow, what would you do?
- What would you do if you disapproved of the manager’s suggested course of action for handling a problem?
- If you were to become dissatisfied with your employer, would you speak out or keep quiet about it?
- You have a fantastic workday. You think, “I have the greatest job in the world,” when you get home from that day. What would you say you accomplished that day at work?
- What would someone who disliked you tell me about you if we had the chance to speak?
- What would be written on your door if you were a consultant?
- Who would you choose as a mentor among all the professionals in the world, and why?
- Would you want a partner with the same ideals and opinions or would you like your partner to be unique?
- Would you do it if your significant other asked you to keep your bank accounts separate?
- Would you feel threatened by your partner’s pals of the opposite gender if they were models?
- Who would you choose if you could go on a double date with any two major historical figures?
- If you had the choice of being able to communicate telepathically with your partner, would you do it? Remember that you would also be able to read each other’s thoughts.
- Assume you cheated on your significant other. The next morning, you felt absolutely awful and vowed never to do it again. Would you tell your partner about it anyway?
- Assume you started a relationship with your partner’s best buddy. How will you tell them?
- Suppose you see your lover at a party after lying to them about staying home. How would you handle the situation?
- If you’re on vacation with your significant other and bump into some colleagues, how will you ditch them without telling them that you’re there with your spouse?
- Suppose you call your ex while intoxicated and your current partner overhears the entire exchange. How will you handle the aftermath?
- Consider the possibility of returning to meet your lover for the first time all over again. Would you do it differently?
- If you were given a choice to change one thing about your lover, what would you change?
- If you and your significant other lose all the money you have, would you choose to remain together or separate?
- If you knew all the passwords of your significant other, what app of theirs would you access first?
- What would you do if you could spend a day in your partner’s shoes?
- Who would you permanently remove from your partner’s life if you could, and why?
- If you could marry one character from the Harry Potter series, who would it be?
- If you could eat one dish from the universe of Game of Thrones, what would you eat?
- What kind of insect would you want to be if you were an insect?
- What would you choose if God gave you a choice between reliving a luxurious life over and over again or choosing to be reborn randomly?
- If you could be president for one day, what one thing would you ban?
- If you could date any historical figure, who will it be and how will you set up the perfect date for them?
- If you friends turn out to be in a Mafia syndicate and they offer you membership, would you do it or report them to the authorities?
- If you could have an extra organ in your body, what would you want to have?
- If you had to give up one dish for the rest of your life, what would that dish be?
- If you could trade places with your pet for a week, would you do it?
- If you could become the prime minister or president of a country in which you don’t live, which country would it be and why?
- What would you do if you found out that you were adopted and your real parents left you a fortune before they died?
- What will you do for the rest of your life if you got a permanent wage without working indefinitely?
Crazy Scenario Questions
- If a viral outbreak turned everyone into zombies, which country would be the safest to stay in and why?
- If you become the king of the world overnight, what would be the first law you’d enforce?
- What would you buy the first three things if you had a piggy bank that never ran out of money?
- If you could live in a superhero universe, which superhero would you marry?
- What would your flavor be if people’s personalities had real-world flavors like vanilla or chocolate?
- If aliens visited earth to compare their society with ours, what one thing would they hate the most?
- If you could make one conspiracy theory come true, which one would it be and why?
- If you could have coffee with any person who has ever existed in our world, who would it be? What topic would you discuss with them?
- If the whole world was trying to kill you, which fictional or non-fictional person would you ask to protect you?
- If you could be immortal for a day, what all things would you want to try?
- What would that heaven be like if you could design your own heaven for your afterlife?
- If you could make a pet out of any prehistorical animal that is now extinct, which animal would you choose and why?
- If you had the power to outlaw any job, which job would it be?
- If you had a philosopher’s stone that could turn anything into gold but it could only work once, what thing would you turn into gold?
- What would that universe be like if you could create a parallel universe down to the last detail and live in it?
- If you had the power to decide how the world would end. And it was confirmed that it would end one way or another, what kind of apocalypse would you create?
- Which planet would you choose if you could colonize any other planet in our solar system with perfect living conditions?
- If you could direct a movie with an unlimited budget on a single topic, what would that topic be?
- If you could invent one advanced technology like time travel or cloning of consciousness, what would that technology be?
- If aliens visited earth to compare their society with ours, what one thing would they love the most?
- What kind of holiday would it be if you could create a brand new holiday with its own backstory, traditions, etc.? What would you call it, and what would people do on that day?
- If you could create a new animal, what characteristics would it have, and what would you call it?
- If you discovered a new color, what would you name it?
- If you discovered a new star, what would you name it?
- You’ve just created one of the best TV shows out there. The producer has asked you to pick a name for it. What would you name it, considering it’s a comedy show?
- You’ve been selected as a mascot for your local team. The mafia in your city asks you to make sure that your home team loses, or else they’ll kill everyone you love. What will you do to save the people you love?
- Which color would you prefer to survive if humans lost their capacity to see all colors but one?
- What bizarre dictatorial actions would you take if you were in charge of a small nation?
- What deli meat would you like your sheets to be made of if they had to be?
- Which animal would you pick if you could give it wings out of any kind?
- How would the world have changed if zeppelins had been popular and the primary mode of air travel?
- Every day, 12 things at random that all begin with the letter you choose will appear in your backyard. Which letter do you select?
- If you could buy any sports bike just once, which one would you choose?
- If you had the choice of choosing your dream company, where would you work?
- If you could master one sport, which sport would you choose and why?
- Who would you choose if you could be friends with Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo?
- What kind of car would you transform into if you were a transformer?
- Which legislation, if any, would you repeal? What regulations would you enact?
- How would you obtain extra lives in the actual world if such a thing existed?
- What kind of food would you be if you were a food?
- What animal would be much superior if it had scales?
- What would your ideal planet look like if you could create one?
- What plan would you have if there were a zombie apocalypse?
- Which company would you choose if you could lead any organization?
- Which two animals’ vocalizations would you like to switch?
- If given the option, would you want to experience no pain ever again?
- Which animated universe would you most like to spend a week in?
- What would you like to see grow on trees?
- What peculiar behavior would you normalize if you could?
- Would you snap your fingers if doing so would suddenly send you to a different location in the chronology of humanity? If yes, how frequently?
- What scent would you prefer to have permanently present around you if you could smell it and everyone else could too (apart from your own natural scent)?
- What elements of yourself would you raise, and which would you decrease if you could level up one part of yourself? These elements include strength, intelligence, charisma, etc.). You will be increasing one element at the cost of lowering another feature of yourself by the same amount. Which element would you pick?
- What would you do first if time travel were possible?
- What superpower, if any, would you like to have, and why?
- What website would you visit if you could only visit one for the rest of your life? Why?
- Who would you be if you were a character in any book, and why?
- What kind of fruit would you be if you were a fruit, and why?
- Which animal would you be if you were one?
- What song would you want to be played in the background if one played every time you entered a room?
- God reveals that you will be reborn as a bird; which species of bird would you choose?
- Which would you prefer to lose, your sense of sight or your sense of hearing?
- Would you want to go to a real-world Jurassic Park?
- Which book, if any, would you like to see published?
- Who would you like to be if you could spend a day pretending to be someone else?
- Which person’s thoughts, if you could hear them for a day, would you like to hear?
- Who would you want to meet if you could, alive or dead, and why?
- What would you do if you had to vanish, and where would you go?
- What would you prefer to do if you could do any job?
- Which season—spring, summer, fall, or winter—would you prefer to experience throughout your entire life?
- What TV show would you choose if you had to spend a month trapped inside of it, and why? What character would you pick?
- Would you wish to read minds, and how might you put such knowledge to use?
- Which of tag, tug-of-war, or hide-and-seek should be added to the Olympic Games?
- Would you want to know if you were a robot, not a human?
Questions for Kids
- If you had the chance to perfect one skill in your life, what skill would it be and why?
- If a fairy gave you three wishes that would come true, what three things would you wish for?
- If you could make any cartoon character come alive, which cartoon character would you choose and why?
- If you had the chance to meet any prime minister or president of any country, whom would you choose to meet and why?
- If there is life on other planets, would it be friendly towards humans or not?
- How much electronic waste do humans produce every day?
- How many sand grains do you believe a normal beach has?
- If you won a million dollars, what would you buy?
- If you could change one item in the past and go back in time, what would it be and why?
- What superpower, if any, would you choose to have and why?
- What are ten diverse uses there for a cup?
- If you could make a sofa better, how would you do it?
- Will Baby Shark still go by the name of Baby Shark when he becomes an adult?
- What would occur if there were no rain?
- How could you make £100 or $100 by next week if you really wanted to?
Hypothetical Situation Questions
- Which option would you prefer if you had the option to either stop existing once you passed away or wander the planet aimlessly for all time?
- Where would you like to relocate if you could do so anywhere and yet make a living wage?
- What performance or event would you attend if you could purchase tickets to anyone?
- What advice would you give your parents if you could go back in time and do it before you were even born?
- How would the world change if everyone was unable to tell the truth?
- Would you like to be invisible if it meant remaining invisible all the time?
- What kind of dance would you perform if you were forced to perform one that had never been performed in human history or been executed?
- What would you choose to eliminate from existence—even the memory of it—if you could?
- What would you have tattooed throughout your complete body if it were required by law to do so?
- What food monstrosity would you develop if you were the head of product development for a significant fast food chain?
- If someone offered to make you immortal, and even any weapon on earth wouldn’t kill you, would you accept it or not? And why?
- If you had the chance to solve one world problem like hunger, disease, climate change, etc.? What world problem would you solve to make the world a better place? And why that problem in particular?
- If you could swap your mind with any historical figure for their whole lifetime, who would that historical figure be?
- If you could see the future of other people and how they would die, would you tell them or let nature run its course?
- If you could talk to dead people, would you pass their messages to their loved ones and run the risk of being called a fraud?
- If you had the power to kill any human being at any time, whom would you kill to achieve world peace in an instant and why?
- If you had a pen which could rewrite the course of history, what would you write, and how would it affect the present?
- If you could eradicate one type of crime completely, what crime would it be and why?
- Would you rather go forward in time and see how human beings end up or go back in time to set up the world your way?
- If it was your last day on earth, what all things would you do?
- If you had to live out your life in one room, what things would you have inside it?
- If you only had to eat one dish every day, what dish would you choose?
- If you could speak to every human being alive at the same time for 10 minutes, what would you say and why?
- If you could control the mind of every human being alive and have them collaborate on one single task, what task would it be?
- If you had the opportunity to visit any planet, which planet would you choose and why?
- Is it better to never have been born or cease to exist after living once?
- You come upon a suitcase with $1 million in it while out for a walk in the woods one day. A message with the words “don’t” is inside when you open it. Do you take it home or leave it there just to be safe?
- You stumble upon a book, open it, and find that it contains the narrative of your life. Would you continue reading if you knew you couldn’t edit the chapters?
- If you could take over a famous person’s body, who would it be and why?
- What do you think your life would look like in a third-world country?
- How would you solve world hunger if you were a millionaire?
- If you were to live inside one video game, which one would it be?
- What would you do if you were to survive a zombie apocalypse but there was no one else left on earth?
- Suppose you joined a secret society. What would the name be?
- You are the founder of a new major fast food chain. What’s the name of it?
- Imagine you did crazy dictator things. What would they be?
- Honest answer: Which famous person do you envy and why?
- Suppose aliens came to planet earth. What do you think they would want to know?
- Is wearing the same outfit every day considered a wrong thing?
- You can choose one fantasy creature. Which one would it be?
- If you had to invent one social media platform, which would you invent and why?
- You can change one thing about the opposite sex. What would it be?
- You are on a desert island and you don’t have any water. How do you get it?
- If time machines existed do you think we would know about them right now?
- You had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, which one is it?
- There’s a chance to have dinner with a famous dead person, who is it?
- Would you rather live in a small country or a big country?
- Suppose you had multiple personalities. Which personalities would they be?
- One song is on repeat for the rest of your life. Which song is it?
Hypothetical questions (images to share)
There are no limits to hypothetical questions.
In essence, hypothesizing is all about how well your brain works and how much creativity you have. You can sit one day and come up with thousands of hypothetical questions.
It’s the ability to ask questions that determines whether a person is intelligent or not. In popular culture, people who do not ask questions are considered sheep.
More fun games to play
Board reviewed by Marianne Tomlinson, LCSW (Couples and Family Therapy). Content is rigorously reviewed by a team of qualified and experienced fact checkers. Learn more.