Looking for ice breaker questions for work? A simple question can go a long way in developing a relationship with someone else. Icebreaker questions are introductory prompts that are used to start a simple conversation. In the workplace, you probably don’t want a long conversation to happen before discussing work matters. The benefits of small talk can go a long way in creating symbiotic relationships with your coworkers.
My experience with building friendships/relationships…
If you’re asking any type of questions to a person you want to build a friendship with, then my story is for you… I was awkward. An odd little kid who maybe didn’t connect with too many adults or other children…
I wanted friends pretty badly! I mean, very badly! Learning the right types of questions to ask to build relationships was the key for me… And I hope it is for you, too!
My best tip! It only takes 30 seconds of courage to ask someone a question and see where it goes. Remember that!
Best Ice Breaker Questions For Work:
1. What is your passion in life?
2. Who was the first artist you saw in concert?
3. What is your favorite song?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your favorite comedian?
6. What was the last show you attended?
7. What is the best gift you have received?
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
9. What job did you want to do as a child?
10. If you could grant three wishes, what would they be?
11. What is your favorite sport?
12. What is your favorite activity?
13. What is your favorite book?
14. What is your favorite movie?
15. Name three things you would bring to a desert island.
16. Who is your favorite Disney character?
17. Which element (water, earth, air, fire) represents you the most?
18. If you could have one superpower, which would you choose?
19. Who is your favorite superhero?
20. If you won the lottery tomorrow morning, what would your first purchase be?
21. What is your favorite movie quote?
22. Do you prefer the city or the countryside?
23. Are you more morning or night?
24. Which public figure (dead or alive) would you like to share a meal with?
25. What is your favorite season?
26. What is your most used emoji?
27. What do you prefer in our office?
28. What is your favorite theme park ride?
29. Do you like working from home?
30. Who had the most influence on you growing up?
Related: Ice breaker questions for work
To Start A Meeting:
1. Describe your ideal vacation.
2. Who is your favorite band?
3. Who is your favorite athlete?
4. Do you dream of being famous?
5. What is the worst hairstyle you have ever had?
6. What is the most embarrassing thing you have done?
7. Which Halloween costume are you most proud of?
8. Who is the most famous person you have met?
9. What title would you give to your autobiography?
10. What is your cute sin?
11. If your car had a name, what would it be?
12. What was the first trip you took?
13. If you decided to move abroad, which country would you choose?
14. Do you have any siblings?
15. What was your favorite subject in school?
16. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what would be the first plane ticket you would buy?
17. Do you have any phobias?
18. What city did you grow up in?
19. Which city would you like to visit and why?
20. Do you have a pet?
21. What is the best advice you have received?
22. What place would you like to visit again and why?
23. What is the worst advice you have received?
24. What was your first job?
25. What is your dream travel destination?
26. How long have you worked in this industry?
27. What language would you like to learn?
28. What do you do at work daily?
29. How do you manage your time?
30. Where in the world would you live if money wasn’t an issue?
For A New Employee/Colleague:
—Ice breaker questions for work
1. What is your favorite activity while traveling?
2. Do you prefer to travel in the summer or winter?
3. What absurd fear did you have as a child?
4. What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid?
5. What would be the name of the Spotify playlist that best describes your life?
6. What is your favorite meme?
7. What is your least favorite food?
8. If you invented a cocktail, what would it contain and what would you call it?
9. For or against putting pineapple on a pizza?
10. If you had to choose one video game to live in, what would you choose?
11. What is your favorite meal?
12. What is your favorite social network?
13. Are you salty or sweet?
14. What is your favorite dessert?
15. Who is your favorite content creator?
16. What is the weirdest food you have eaten?
17. What is your favorite drink?
18. What is your favorite fast food?
19. What is your favorite emoji?
20. If you had to consume only one food for the rest of your life (apart from water), which would you choose?
21. When you were a child, what was your biggest dream?
22. What are you reading at the moment?
23. What is your dream job?
24. What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
25. Describe your dream vacation if money was no limit?
26. If you could learn one new skill instantly, what would it be?
27. What is the worst job interview you have ever had?
28. How did you come to this position?
29. Do you like trying new foods?
30. What drives you to improve?
For The Start Of The Week At Work:
—Ice breaker questions for work
1. What are you excited about this week? What is troubling you?
2. If you could have one superpower today, what would it be and for what purpose?
3. Which animal would you have chosen to be?
4. What’s the weirdest thing in your fridge right now?
5. What new things have you learned recently?
6. What new things have you learned about yourself in the past three months?
7. What thing in nature, excluding animals, best describes you today?
8. How would you like to be cooked if you were a potato?
9. What question would you like people to ask you?
10. What organizational challenges have you encountered?
11. What are your next career steps?
12. What are you worried about?
13. Would you go to space if you knew you could never return to earth?
14. What has been your favorite recent meal and why?
15. What has been your biggest success factor?
16. What song describes your life right now?
17. What are your favorite weird food combinations?
18. What is your middle name?
19. What is your favorite pastime?
20. How many languages can you speak?
21. How do you deal with disappointment at work?
22. Where do you want to retire?
23. What was your last song on your Spotify?
24. What is your favorite place?
25. Show us something in your space that you like?
26. What is your biggest professional weakness?
27. How do you deal with disappointment at work?
28. What organizational challenges have you encountered?
29. How to make decisions at work?
30. What are your long-term career goals?
31. How has the industry evolved since you started?
32. What is the best gift for a traveler?
33. How do you manage your time?
34. What drew you to this field?
35. How to make decisions at work?
36. Is there a quote that motivates you?
37. What do you do at work daily?
38. What skills have you found essential to your job?
39. What are your long-term career goals?
40. What is your biggest professional weakness?
To End The Week At Work—Ice Breaker Questions for Work
—Ice breaker questions for work to end the week
1. What are you looking forward to and why?
2. What in your life do you feel most grateful for?
3. What clubs were you a member of in high school?
4. If you could instantly become an expert at anything, what would it be?
5. Who is the person you admire?
6. When you feel stressed, how do you handle it?
7. Is there a topic you would like to be mentored on lately?
8. What would you do if you had all the money in the world?
9. What would it be if you could learn one new skill instantly?
10. Do you collect anything?
11. What would you like to be known or remembered for?
12. When was the last time you did something for the first time?
13. What project could you stop doing to focus more?
14. Where did you grow up?
15. Are you a listener or a talker?
16. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
17. Are there aspects of your personality that hold you back? How do you adapt?
18. What criteria helps you to decide whether to say “no” to something or commit to it?
19. How would you describe your communication style in 3 words?
20. What are you proud of accomplishing?
21. When you are not at work, what are your passions?
22. Do you have any family traditions that you look forward to each year?
23. What have you always wanted to do but haven’t done yet?
24. What was your dream job growing up?
25. What is your favorite part of your job?
26. What did you name your first car?
27. Do you prefer to be at the beach or the mountains?
28. What word best describes you?
29. The best book you’ve ever read?
30. What game do you prefer to play?
Virtual Questions For Work—Ice Breaker Questions for Work
—Ice breaker questions for work in virtual situations
1. What is your secret talent?
2. Describe an experience in your life that changed your values?
3. Tell us about a big problem you had to solve this year?
4. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
5. Using one word, name something that makes you successful?
6. Who is the most famous person you have met?
7. What sport would you participate in if you were at the Olympics?
8. Where would you build your dream house?
9. What new or additional skill do you think you need now to progress further?
10. Who in your life has inspired you the most?
11. If you weren’t in this career, what could you imagine yourself doing?
12. If you could change anything about how you were raised, what would it be?
13. What talent would you most like to grow and develop?
14. Is it always okay to waste time?
15. What is the reason you get up in the morning?
16. What’s one thing at the top of your to-do list?
17. If you had to eat only one dish for the rest of the time, which would it be?
18. Do you have any routines that you use to improve your energy and focus?
19. Who has made a positive difference in your life recently?
20. What simple thing still amazes you?
21. When was the last time you felt boundless optimism?
22. How do you recognize when you are stressed?
23. What rule did your parents or guardians follow when you were a child?
24. Which country would you like to visit and why?
25. Which emoji represents you today and why?
26. How has the industry evolved since you started?
27. What are your next career steps?
28. What skills have you found essential to your job?
29. What has been your biggest success factor?
30. What is your greatest professional strength?
31. How many languages can you speak?
32. What is your middle name?
33. What is your favorite place?
34. Do you have a dedicated office space at home?
35. The best professional development book you’ve ever read?
36. What was the worst style choice you’ve ever made?
37. What is your favorite tradition or celebration?
38. Which book would you like to live in?
39. What mistake did you learn the most from?
40. Do you find praise or criticism more motivating?
41. Who in your family do you consider a role model?
42. What is your favorite aspect of travel?
43. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat on an airplane?
44. Do you like working from home?
45. Who had the most influence on you growing up?
46. What meal would you cook for someone you’re trying to impress?
47. Are you watching an interesting TV show right now?
48. What is your favorite thing about working from home?
49. What book did you read for the first time?
50. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
What are the benefits of small talk at work?
Generally, enhanced employee job satisfaction and improved collaboration between two people.
Why is it important to use small talk at work?
In short, it helps to establish and build long-lasting relationships. Trust is a key factor in collaboration and expectation management.