Looking for fun questions to ask kids? Sometimes, questions for kids get the kids talking about themselves, their interests, and their future. Questions like, “What’s your favorite song?” Or, “What is your favorite meal at the dinner table?”
Let’s jump into the best questions to ask kids.
My experience asking questions to kids…
I appreciate being able to start conversations with kids. Firstly, in today’s world, it can be kind of hard! They have their devices to look at. And they find adults boring.
But the reality is that conversation is good for them! So I try anyway. These questions help me to do that. They spark intrigue, and that usually gets them talking!
—The very best questions for kids
- What was the most wonderful thing that happened to you today?
- What is your favorite after-school activity?
- What would your favorite toy say if it could talk?
- What do you consider to be the stupidest thing?
- What is your favorite outfit?
- Do you ever consider renaming your crayon colors?
- What is your Superhero name, and what abilities do you possess?
- What would you be painting right now if you drew everything that came to mind?
- What are your first feelings when you wake up?
- If you had the power, how would you change the world?
- What are your top three plans for the summer?
- What would you like to learn how to do?
- What do you think that person is thinking?
- What is the most ridiculous thing you have ever done?
- What do you appreciate the most?
- What could you do to help someone today?
- What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?
- How do you prefer to help others?
- If you could only consume foods of one color for the rest of your life, which color would you select?
- What is your favorite family custom?
- What do you like to give people?
- Which party game is your favorite?
- Which card games do you enjoy playing?
- What do you like to bring with you to bed?
- What do you aspire to be when you grow up?
- What is your favorite restaurant, and what do you eat there?
Related: Conversation starters for kids
—Fun questions for kids
- Which of your friends would survive if there was a zombie apocalypse?
- What makes you feel powerful?
- What would your treehouse look like if you were to design it?
- What new skill would you wish to acquire?
- Which pizza topping are you unlikely to try?
- What dessert would you be if you could be?
- What part of the school day did you look forward to the most?
- What would you miss the most if you had to leave your school?
- What would you alter about today if you could go back in time?
- What did you face today?
- What’s the best dream you’ve had in the past few weeks?
- When were you most terrified?
- What one new regulation would you propose for the school if your principal was sick tomorrow and you had to fill in?
- Which teacher in your school would you swap places with if you could?
- What is something you never believed you could tell me but now wish you could?
- What is the oddest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What would you teach the class if you were the teacher?
- What would you call a new color?
- What would you alter about your bedtime if you could?
- What is one destination you’d like to visit one day?
- Which day of the week is your favorite?
- Which event would you celebrate on a daily basis if you could?
- Do you prefer sleeping in on weekends or getting up early?
- What would you say about an automobile to an alien?
- What would your act be if you joined the circus?
- What three wishes would you grant yourself?
This or that questions
—This or that questions for kids
- Do you prefer flying a plane or driving a submarine?
- Do you prefer swimming at the beach or in a pool?
- Would you rather be the world’s most intelligent person or the world’s finest athlete?
- Do you have a preference for animals or insects?
- Would you prefer to assist children or the elderly as a doctor?
- Which do you prefer: a treehouse or a houseboat?
- Would you rather have the opportunity to create a new toy or a new television program?
- Would you rather explore the deepest reaches of the ocean or space?
- Do you want to go to school on a dragon or a unicorn every day?
- Would you rather not watch YouTube or play video games ever again?
- Do you enjoy listening to music or reading?
- Would you rather have snow every day or rain every day?
- Would you rather fly or remain invisible?
- Would you rather have an enormously loud voice or just be able to whisper?
- Do you prefer overcast or sunny days?
- Do you prefer sitting or standing at your desk?
- Do you prefer polar or panda bears?
- Would you rather be really humorous or extremely intelligent?
- Would you rather be a lightning-fast swimmer or a lightning-fast runner?
- Would you rather have a new blouse or shoes to wear every day?
- Would you rather read people’s minds or remain invisible?
- Do you prefer going to the movies or going to a waterpark?
- Which do you prefer: becoming a cop or a doctor?
- Would you rather be a physical education or art teacher?
- Which do you prefer: a squirt gun or a nerf gun?
- Do you want to be a singer or a dancer?
What if questions
—”What if” questions for kids
- What if everything you came into contact with turned to gold?
- What if there was no homework?
- What if your childhood toys came to life?
- What if you had your own spaceship?
- What if you had the ability to live for 200 years?
- What if the sky really was pink?
- What if an escaped rhino was loose in the city?
- What if you struck your head and found yourself suddenly able to speak any language?
- What if you could exchange your body for that of an animal? What animal would you pick?
- What if you could send data directly to your brain?
- What if you had the ability to breathe underwater?
- What if you were only allowed to eat vegetables for the rest of your life?
- What if you could play any computer game as a character?
- What if you had the ability to read your teacher’s mind?
- What if you possessed a magical watch that allowed you to stop time?
- What if you discovered a secret compartment in your bedroom?
- What if you could play any instrument?
- What if your closet was a portal to a mystical realm?
- What if you were the size of a fly?
- What if you came across a talking monkey?
- What if you and everyone you come into contact with had the ability to fly?
- What if you could live beneath the waves?
- What if unicorns really existed?
- What if you had to prepare a meal for your entire family? What would you come up with?
- What if your teacher can read your mind?
- What if you had the ability to purchase any car in the world? Which vehicle would you choose?
- What if the moon was truly composed of cheese?
- What if you discovered your mother or father was a spy?
Expert advice: Harvard researchers suggest that the “environment of relationships” is good for children’s brain architecture, which helps to lay the foundation for academic performance, mental health, and general well-being. Building connections with children, through questions, can help to spark these positive signals to the brain.
—Animal questions for kids
- What would you choose if you could have any animal as a pet?
- What animal would you be if you could be for a day?
- What species does the Komodo dragon belong to?
- How would you describe an elephant without using words like animal, trunk, or grey?
- What kind of animal would make a great driver?
- What questions would you ask a wild animal if you could?
- In what ways do you believe animals communicate?
- What would you call your pet dragon if you had one?
- What animal lays the most eggs?
- What animal doesn’t consume water?
- Which of the following animals breathes via its skin?
- Which animal would you select if you could tap into its abilities?
- What if owls arrived bearing a letter informing you that you were a wizard?
- What is the most amusing animal sound you can make?
- Would you rather comprehend what animals say or be understood by them?
- Which would make a better pet: a baby giraffe or a baby elephant?
- What questions would you ask a wild animal if you could?
- What animal is the only one that cannot jump?
- Which of the following animals is known to have three hearts?
- Which animal can balance itself on its tail?
- Which land animal has the largest mouth?
- Which animal is regarded as man’s best friend?
- Which animal has stripes on both its fur and its skin?
Movie questions for kids
- Which television program or film would you like to star in if you could?
- What was your first movie experience?
- Would you rather attend a party or see a movie?
- What’s your favorite film?
- If any actor could play you in a movie, who would it be?
- What was the most recent movie you saw?
- What would your title be if you were a movie?
- What are your three wishes if you’re trapped in the Aladdin movie?
- Would you rather watch a film or a television program?
- What is your favorite movie scene?
- Which movie, TV, or book character makes you the most laugh?
- Do you want to be a TV or a pop star?
Expert advice: Harvard researchers suggest asking basic questions like, “How are you?” Or, “What do you like to do?” won’t be sufficient in creating strong, long-lasting relationships. Instead, try the A.C.T method, which stands for authenticity, connection, and topic/taste. Find mutual ground between the two of you and move past surface-level questions.
Funny questions for kids
- What do you like to put ketchup on the most?
- Which nursery rhyme is your favorite?
- What kind of house would you build when you’re older?
- If you were a food, what type of food would you be?
- What kind of car do you intend to drive when you get older?
- What’s the worst thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Have you got a favorite blanket or piece of clothing?
- What sort of cuisine do you want to bathe in?
- Do you like to walk about barefoot?
- What kind of food is ideal for a food fight?
- Where would you eat if you could go to any restaurant?
- What kind of restaurant would you open if you were to open one?
- Do you prefer ice cream or chicken strips?
- What game would you play with your class if you could cancel one of your classes for a day?
- What would you ask a genie in a bottle if you found one?
- What is the most bizarre thing you could shower in?
- If you awoke with a green complexion, what would you do?
- What word would you make up, and what would it mean if you could?
- Which video game character would you be?
- Would you rather be forced to dance like a robot or a jellyfish?
- Do you prefer to move like a kangaroo or a crab?
- Which would you prefer: super strength in one hand or supervision in one eye?
- What is the most amusing school uniform you can think of?
Expert advice: Laughter has been proven to promote health. According to Mayo Clinic, laughter promotes oxygen to the body, stimulates many organs, relieves stress, and can help to soothe tension. In addition, there have been effects of long-term improvements to the immune system, simply by laughing.
Get to know you questions for kids
- Which hobbies do you want to undertake every day?
- What would be your top three items to bring if you had to spend a month living in space?
- Who is your preferred animated character, and why?
- How did you notice someone being helpful to someone else today?
- What novel are you now reading, and what do you enjoy about it?
- What do you imagine paradise to be like?
- What is one item you are very proud of?
- What makes you feel at ease?
- What would you guarantee for tomorrow if you could?
- What is your favorite aspect of your school?
- When did you last feel appreciated?
- What do you want to do on Sunday?
- What would a great trip look like to you?
- Did you eat lunch with your friends?
- What is the most important thing you’ve discovered thus far?
- What is it that you desire would never end?
- What is your favorite joke?
- Which subject is your favorite, and why?
- What language would you learn if you could learn any language?
- Which new thing did you discover today?
- What would you say about yourself in just three words if you had to?
- Who do you tell your secrets to?
- When are you the happiest?
- Which of the following did you do against your will?
- What should you do while you’re alone?
- What do you admire most about your friend’s parents?
- Who else is there in the society park with you?
- What characteristics should a person have in order to be your best friend?
- What would make the ideal present for you?
- What would you like to learn from your grandparents?
- What was the most amusing thing that happened to you today?
- Which school or home rule irritates you the most?
Basic questions to ask younger kids
- What’s your favorite thing to do in the car?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What advice would you give to other younger children?
- If you had a million dollars, what would you do?
- Which older kids do you look up to?
- What’s the funniest thing to happen to you at school?
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
- When is your favorite season of the year?
- What is your favorite subject at school?
- What do you think critical thinking is?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- When was the last time that you had to feel brave?
- Who is a famous person you would like to meet?
- How many planets would you like to visit if you could?
- What is your favorite dinner meal to eat?
- What do you like to do on a long car ride?
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your favorite candy?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- Who is your favorite character in Toy Story?
Board reviewed by Marianne Tomlinson, LCSW (Couples and Family Therapy). Content is rigorously reviewed by a team of qualified and experienced fact checkers. Learn more.